Male sexual performance anxiety
Studies have shown MSPA is one of the most prolific sexual dysfunctions in the world today. It is estimated that up to 25% of men are affected by the condition. MSPA is primarily the result of negative thoughts usually caused by different physical or mental factors. Performance anxiety is rooted in fear that you may not perform well enough in a sexual encounter.
If not being able to keep an erection during sex has happened before, anxiety may include fears that it can happen again. This is true, even if there is no medical reason that it might happen. Lack of self-confidence, low self-esteem, stress, medicine side effects, are all factors which play a role in MSPA. Feeling embarrassed about how you look often comes into the mix of performance anxiety. Studies also show that a poor body image may be the single biggest factor in performance anxiety issues.
Body Dysmorphic Disorder (BDD)
This disorder is better known as a negative, or poor body image. The person concerned usually over-perceives body-flaws which may or may not exist. This makes him extremely embarrassed by what he sees. His main fear is what his partner might think if her eyes land on, what in his mind, are obvious imperfections. This causes anxiety, and can manifest in raised performance anxiety when it comes to sex. Here are some indications that you may have BDD:
- You prefer to have sex in the dark so that your partner cannot see your body.
- Do you want to partly cover your body (lights off) with clothing or a bedsheet, so that your partner cannot see the areas which are concerning to you?
- If your partner happens to show intimate affection, do you often reject the advances for fear that it may lead to sex and a bout of sexual anxiety?
- Are you often haunted by thoughts that if you looked better naked, you would be more open to sex, and certainly enjoy it more than you do?
- If you are experiencing any of the above issues before, or even during sex, it may bring home the fact that you have a poor body image. This adds to your performance anxiety. Anxiety and stress about your appearance can lead to other issues. These issues include erectile dysfunction, and a split in an otherwise good relationship.
Experts agree that Male Sexual Performance Anxiety is mainly of a psychological nature. It occurs when unresolved trauma, bad memories, and negative thoughts are lodged in the subconscious mind. Erectile Dysfunction (ED), if there is no underlying medical reason, is usually a result of performance anxiety.
Mental health experts agree that MSPA reacts consciously to triggers in the subconscious mind. An alternative treatment, such as hypnotherapy, can access the subconscious mind and help to eliminate negative thoughts and bad memories. A new mindset can be created, where sex is viewed in a more positive light, giving you the self-confidence to once again initiate a sexual encounter.
We can help!
If you are trying to rebuild your libido, and restore your self-esteem – we can help. Herbal Remedies International have taken some potent natural herbs and developed excellent formulas to help combat low libido issues. Our products are safe to take, and do not need a doctor’s script. Visit us at: www.herbalremedies.co.za to see our awesome range of products. We are here to help you.