It is up to you!
If you have recently gone through a pregnancy and childbirth, the last thing on your mind would probably be when to resume your sex life. If you in a relationship, sex after childbirth does happen. It is therefore important to know what to expect when you resume relations with your partner.
Most medical practitioners may recommend that you wait a reasonable time for your body to recover, but there is no prescribed period. It will be up to you and your partner to set your own timeline. However, factors to consider are how well the delivery went, and whether it was a vaginal or C-section delivery.
Studies have shown that If you resume sex within 2 weeks after delivery, you run the risk of post-delivery complications. It was agreed that 3 to 5 weeks would be more or less ideal.
Things you may want to know
Here are some questions you may have in your mind, especially if it is a first baby:
- Will sex hurt after childbirth: Hormonal changes may leave the vagina tender or dry. Use a lubricant or take some over-the-counter painkillers to ease things. If the pain persists, speak to your doctor about possible treatment.
- Will it feel any different: The muscles supporting the uterus, bladder, and the small intestine, may have been stretched during pregnancy and birthing, so in the beginning, sex may feel a little different. There are exercises known as Kegel toning which help to strengthen the pelvic muscles, especially those of the uterus and vagina.
- What about birth control: Speak to the doctor with regard birth control.
- What if my libido is a bit low? if you are not yet ready for sex, in a loving relationship there are other ways of staying close to each other.
- Exercise after childbirth: Taking care of yourself can go a long way towards lifting your spirits and keeping passions alive. Regular exercise is one of the best ways to restore your confidence, strengthen and tone your muscles, rekindle your desire for sex, and do wonders for your well-being. Other benefits of regular exercise include boosting your energy level, and promoting post-pregnancy weight loss.
- Spend time with your partner: Postnatal depression may happen, but can just as quickly go away. Spend time together without the baby, if even if it is just a few minutes in the morning and evening when the baby is asleep. Show affection to each other, as all the adjustments you have to make as parents, can take a toll on your relationship – and your love life.
A new baby will always bring changes and challenges to your life, but is how you respond and communicate as partners is the key to success. Visit the doctor if you are concerned about anything, especially depression.
We can help!
If you have recently gone through pregnancy and childbirth, and are concerned about your libido – we can help! Herbal Remedies International have taken some of the most potent natural herb ingredients and developed formulas to enhance the sexual experience of both men and women, which also help to combat low libido issues. Our products are safe to take and do not need a doctor’s prescription. Visit us at www.herbalremedies.co.za to view our extensive range of products and see how we can help you!