Exactly what is climacturia?
Climacturia is a worrying problem that happens in men after surgery for radical prostatectomy, an operation to treat prostate cancer by removing the prostate. The condition is best described as a leaking of urine when a man ejaculates during sex.
The prostate gland is surrounded by nerves and tissues which are essential for the proper function of sex and urination. During prostatectomy surgery, nerves may be damaged, resulting in incontinence and in some cases, erectile dysfunction.
Studies have shown that more than 40% of men across the board may suffer to one degree or another from this condition. This is a distressing situation for both men and their partners, and some men are so embarrassed by the circumstances that they may even try to avoid sex, leaving a partner wondering what the problem is.
How many men are seriously bothered by this condition?
Depending on the severity of the climacturia, according to a survey in the US, up to 50% of men interviewed, reported that they were bothered by the leaking. Those with regular leaking when ejaculating stated that whether the leakage was small, moderate, or large, they were nevertheless concerned up to a point.
There were also men who believed that their partners were disturbed by the condition. It was however noted that partners were not individually assessed. For both partners, the degree of bother escalated if the frequency and quantity of the urine leakage increased.
What is the prognosis of climacturia?
- If the leakage is mild, such as only a few drops, then the outlook is very positive. You can try emptying the bladder before having sex. You can also set up a regular program of Kegel exercises, combined with physiotherapy to help strengthen the pelvic floor muscles. You will be able to regain some control over your bladder.
- If you are prone to a moderate, or larger volume of urine leaking, research has shown that a reusable tension loop at the base of the penis to stop urine flowing through the urethra and out through the penis, is one of the best solutions available. This is also very useful if urinary leaking is a problem in one’s daily life.
- If leaking remains a problem, then you may have to consider surgery to put in an artificial urinary sphincter, especially if daily life, social life, and work-life are being affected.
The best person to consult is a specialist urologist who can give you a thorough examination and be able to advise which will be the best treatment to opt for.
How you can help to ease matters
- Speak to your partner about the condition, especially if you are avoiding sex.
- If necessary, consider couple counseling to bring all the concerns out into the open.
- Consider always using a condom during sex, even if there is another method of birth control in operation.
- Keep doing your pelvic floor exercise to strengthen the muscles that you need to use to have control over your urine leaking issues.
- Use pads and liners to absorb urine leaks during the day.
Having some urine leaks during sex does not have to ruin your sex life, and definitely does not mean the end of your sex life. Do the best that you can and keep a positive attitude.
We can help!
If your love life needs a boost, we can help! Herbal Remedies International have taken some of the most potent natural herbs and developed formulas to help combat issues of low libido. The products also enhance the sexual experiences of both men and women. Our products are safe to take and don’t need a doctor’s script.
Visit us at www.herbalremedies.co.za to view our awesome range of products, and see all issues we cover.
We are here to help you!