No matter what his age, status in the community, or sexual orientation, good sexual health is a very important part of a man’s life. If he is in a relationship, sexual health is part of a couple’s basis well-being and contributes to a good quality of life.
If something is not right sexually, it falls under the umbrella of sexual dysfunction, which is best described as the inability to have a satisfactory sexual relationship. The reasons for the dysfunction can be many and may include low libido, erection hassles, ejaculation, and orgasm problems. Note that some medical conditions can affect two or more disorders simultaneously.
If you have any symptoms, it is of major importance to discuss the issues with your doctor, as many of the disorders can be successfully treated.
How does sexual function work?
Studies have shown that sexual activity involves links between various systems of the body. Blood vessels, nerves, and healthy penile tissue must all be present for a good erection which will need to be maintained during the sexual encounter.
The muscles and nerves coordinate successful ejaculation when the pathway from the testicles to the urethra is prepared. When all things work together, this is basically what sexual health means.
If things go out of sync, there will be symptoms which can set alarm bells ringing to let you know that perhaps a medical intervention is necessary.
How is sexual dysfunction diagnosed?
The doctor will start with a detailed medical, sexual and psychological history in order to establish the nature of the dysfunction. This will be followed by a thorough physical examination, and some blood tests to check hormone levels.
The doctor may also ask about the frequency and quality of sexual relationships, your sexual orientation, and whether you have a lot of sexual partners. These are very personal questions, but they need to be answered. If you have a good relationship with your doctor and want a successful outcome, answering such personal questions should not be a problem.
The treatment plans
The treatment depends on the cause of the sexual problem. Here are some possible causes of the dysfunction and what the doctor may suggest:
- If the cause is psychological, the doctor might suggest a therapist or counsellor who is experienced in sexual matters.
- Low libido or lack of sexual desire may require hormonal treatment if testosterone levels are low.
- Some blood pressure and antidepressant meds have side effects which contribute towards the development of erectile dysfunction. Ask the doctor if any of them can be changed for meds which don’t have similar side effects.
There may be some underlying medical conditions which the doctor may want to investigate. Blood tests will reveal if this is the case.
Other lifestyle causes which contribute to poor sexual health.
Paying attention to the following can help kickstart the restoration of your sexual health:
- Drinking too much alcohol. This can affect your erection which may not last the duration of your sexual encounter.
- Depression affects the mind and removes enthusiasm to have sex.
- Chronic fatigue robs you of your energy to do anything.
- Smoking and recreational drugs affect healthy blood flow to all parts of the body including the genitals which require a good blood supply for sexual activity.
Making some easy lifestyle changes will definitely improve your sexual health.
We can help!
If your sexual health has taken a beating, we can help. Herbal Remedies International have taken some of the most potent natural herbs and developed formulas to combat low libido. The formulas are also designed to enhance the sexual experience of men and women.
Visit us at www.herbalremedies.co.za to view our awesome range of products and see how we can help you.